Venice says it will host Jeff Bezos wedding, denies reports of possible disruptions for the city


By AGENCY

Italian media have reported that the wedding of Lauren Sanchez and Jeff Bezos will be between June 24-26, with a few days of celebrations. Photo: AP

The city of Venice confirmed Saturday it will host the wedding of multi-billionaire Jeff Bezos and fiancee Lauren Sanchez, denying reports the famous Italian city would be invaded by hundreds of celebrities and possible disruptions for citizens and tourists.

The city in a short statement didn't give a date for the wedding. Italian media have reported it will be between June 24-26, with a few days of celebrations.

"The many speculations and fake news circulating about Jeff Bezos’ wedding are completely unfounded,” the statement said.

Bezos is the owner of The Washington Post and founder and largest individual shareholder of Amazon. Among others, George and Amal Clooney celebrated their wedding in Venice in 2014.

The city said only 200 guests would be invited, a number easily accommodated without any disruption to the city, its residents and visitors. It noted that it has broad experience handling international events "much larger than this.”

"Venice is used to being the stage for events and shows every week, without significant impacts,” the city said, citing G20 and G7 summits, the Architecture and Cinema Biennales, as well as private events and VIP weddings.

Several reports in both Italian and international media suggested that Bezos’ wedding organisers had already booked rooms at Venice’s main luxury hotels and reserved for a few days in late June large numbers of gondolas and water taxis - which are mainly used by locals and tourists for daily transportation.

The city denied those reports, saying it "is their utmost priority to make sure the city functions as normal, for all, with no abnormal disruption to anyone.”

"We are mutually working and supporting the organisers, to ensure that the event will be absolutely respectful of the fragility and uniqueness of the city,” Mayor Luigi Brugnaro said. – AP

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Entertainment

HK actor Lee Lung Kei, 74, proposes to 38YO girlfriend Chris Wong in prison
Former TVB actress Casper Chan now works as a hawker, sells chicken feet
David Beckham celebrates 50th birthday early with lavish party in Miami
Lisa of Blackpink on the challenges of making her debut album 'Alter Ego'
Cher pays tribute to ex Val Kilmer after his death: 'Funny, crazy, pain in the ...'
Kim Soo-hyun scandal: Petition to amend statutory rape law follows actor's press conference
Former teen idol Bobby Sherman diagnosed with stage 4 cancer
Singaporean artiste Dasmond Koh recounts experience during Bangkok earthquake
Leslie Cheung’s legacy lives on in Hong Kong
TVB actor Tsui Wing says he lost six-figure sum in failed tuition centre business

Others Also Read